Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Our Big 6 Year Old!

Today our Shelby Girl turned 6! Can you believe it? She has been counting down the days. Over the weekend the girls and I were out of town. On Saturday morning Shelby and I woke up in the same bed. This was our conversation: Shelby says, "Today is May 1st". I said, "Yes it is." Shelby says, "Tomorrow is May 2nd, Monday is May 3rd." I said, "The calendar I bought this year does not have a May 4th". Shelby says, "You will just have to write that one in". Can't fool her. Too bad every day wasn't as exciting as a birthday. Today was one of the few days I didn't have to drag her out of bed! She was even up early to put her birthday book down on the kitchen table and then went back to bed. I convinced her to wait until after school to open her gifts so we wouldn't be so rushed. Considering she agreed to that showed me a little bit of maturity. And not only did she wait until after school but until Daddy got home from work as well. So we started the big day off as usual: pancake breakfast with a candle.

I think she had a fun day at school. She received several phone calls throughout the day and several asked what she took to school for a birthday treat. In her class they are asked not to bring a treat since it usual tends to be some kind of junk food. They are trying to promote healthy eating. So instead the birthday girl is given a book that she can take home. After coming home from school the flower delivery from Nonny Moe soon arrived. You can't tell from the picture, but there was a lot of crying after the pretty balloon took off in the wind about 2 minutes after I told her she better hang on tight to that balloon! Since I was talking to Nonny on the phone at the time she instructed us to go to the flower shop to get a new one.

Here she is patiently waiting to open gifts. But don't be fooled. The little sneak looked in each of the gift bags when I left her downstairs by herself!
I think she was pleased with all of her gifts. Here are a few of her favorites: Scooby Doo Leapster Game A soccer ball to start practicing for fall and next springHow exactly do you wrap an umbrella? Considering Morgan got one for her birthday she new what was under the tissue paper. Here she is putting up her dukes to fight if the umbrella wasn't the color she wanted. Morgan liked the color Shelby got and Shelby wanted the color Morgan had so I told them to switch. Whatever it takes!
If she had to pick a favorite gift I think she'd say her new 2 wheeled scooter. The neighbor boys got them for Christmas and she had already tried theirs out. She was cruising around the kitchen. She can't wait to get outside with it tomorrow after school.
After opening gifts we went to Carl's Ice Cream for the birthday supper. When we got home we celebrated with the cake. Morgan was the only one who felt like eating a piece tonight.I think #6 was a good day for our Shelby girl. Both girls are looking forward to their big family party later this month. Happy Birthday big girl!

No comments: