Tuesday, January 17, 2012

It's Gonna Be A Long Road!

These long weekends are hard on Morgan.  She gets used to being at home and playing in her kitchen and with her baby dolls.  It seems like I just got them back to school after the extra long Christmas break.  This evening wrapped up the end of a 4 day weekend.  I asked her if she was ready to go back to school tomorrow.  I got a kick out of her response.  It went something like this.
Me:  "You ready to go back to school tomorrow and see all your friends?"
M:  "No."
Me:  "You don't miss Mrs. Fitzgerald & Miss Pyles (student teacher)?"
M:  "No.  I've seen them for 91 days and I'm tired of it!  I just want to be in college."

She's right about the 91 days.  They are counting down to 100.  I don't think I will have any problems in the morning.  She just doesn't like to admit she likes school.  Some of her issues have to do with the fact that she is probably ready for 1st grade.  Her progress report came home on Friday and she already knows all 66 sight words expected by the end of K.  Pretty sure she had that covered back in November.  She is reading at level D which is also the level expected by the end of K.  Unfortunately, she has so many kids in her class that have never been to school before, and they have a lot of catching up to do.  Our friend Mark Comadena comes to her class to read.  She got to read with him last week.  They do find ways to help kids like her get ahead instead of all the extra help going to those who are behind.  That's good news for sure!

In other Morgan news, I ate breakfast at her restaurant yesterday.  And being my usual self, I ordered a milkshake.   Then I added I wanted strawberries in that.  Little Miss Waitress turned back and said to me, "That would be a smoothie".  She'd know.  Her dad takes her to Smoothie King while Shelby and I go to BSF.  
Another funny thing she said to me this morning, "I like to ask a lot of questions".  You think?!?

No comments: