Friday, September 13, 2013

Student Council

Meet one of the members of the Oakdale Student Council.
Shelby decided she wanted to run for a position on the council that is made up of 4th and 5th graders.  In their individual classrooms, they had to give a little speech as to why their classmates should vote for them.  Then they voted.  2 boys and 2 girls are picked from each room.  The other night I noticed about twelve small sticky notes taped in a long line down her wall.  First draft of the speech.  Last night she typed it up.  Here it is:
My name is Shelby Metzger.  I think I am capable of joining the PTO Student Council because I'm smart, I like to make people feel good about themselves.  I'm confident and responsible, I get good grades, I'm trusted and mature.  I like to participate and getting in on things.  I will try my hardest to attend all meetings and I will work hard to do my best.  Thank you and please vote 4 me!
Shelby was top vote getter in her class and her friend Teagan was runner up.  She will fill in for Shelby if she can't be at a meeting, etc.  I kind of forgot about the voting today so didn't think about it when she came out of school with one of her BFF's.  Her friend was a little down and Shelby told her mom she was upset about not making it on Student Council.  A couple minutes later Shelby dropped her backpack and said she would be right back.  She took off running back to her classroom door.  Her teacher was still standing there.  Her friend and mom left to head home.  Shelby returns looking for her and I said she left.  She then takes off running across the bridge to the back street where people park.  She never did find her so she came back.  She said she asked her teacher if she could give her friend her spot on the council in her place.  Mrs. Brigham said they couldn't do that since it was a voted for position.  Shelby stewed about it the whole way home and had tears by the time we pulled in the garage.  She ran down the block and back to run it off I guess.  I was proud of her desire to make her friend happy in what turned out to be a small life lesson no child likes to learn.

No comments: