Monday, September 22, 2008

Dying? No - But It Sure Felt Like It!

When I woke a little before 6 this morning my right side was very sore. I thought maybe I slept on it too long but since we sleep in a water bed that doesn't usually happen. It wasn't long and I was feeling nauseous and like I really had to go to the bathroom. The only problem was I couldn't go to the bathroom and soon I was looking into the bottom of the toilet. I vomited 3 times at home before heading to the ER and once after I got there. After making a few phone calls we got the girls squared away and off we went. Heading to the hospital I was reminded of the delivery of my 2 girls. I entered through the ER since I went in during the middle of the night both times. And I have always heard kidney stone pain is the closest thing a guy is going to get to labor pains. And that is how I felt going there. The pain I was in and the pressure I was feeling like I wanted to push a baby out was all too familiar! The only difference is the baby you bring home is worth the labor but I can't say the same for the 3 mm stone I collected during my first potty break once I got home. I have to take it in for evaluation but hopefully I am 1 and done with kidney stones! I called my roommate from college Traci who gets kidney stones like the common cold and told her I somewhat understand how she was feeling that night I laid in bed with her and rubbed her back and listened to her vomiting echo through the dorm bathroom. And all these years later I now realize my rubbing her back did absolutely nothing for her except maybe some moral support. And she usually has to have her stones blasted to be broken up to pass or have them removed. When I parted ways yesterday with my sister-in-law Jill she said she couldn't wait to see what the next Blog posting would be. I never would have guessed this would be it! And last but not least, thanks to my hubby who cancelled his haircut, took me to the ER and sat with me, listened to my pain filled babbling and cries for help he couldn't give me and he didn't even use his Blackberry (well - today did happen to be his school's switch over for email and he couldn't and they also don't want you using cell phones in that part of the hospital). :) But seriously, he did tell me on Saturday this week was going to be one of his busiest since school started so I do appreciate his willingness to take most of the day off.

2 comments:

kimberly said...

Oh no, Sarah! Hope that was the last of the painful kidney stones for you!

Sarah W said...

So sorry to read of your troubles! I hope there are no more kidney stones in your future!