Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Shelby's First Day of Kindergarten

Today was the first day of Kindergarten for Shelby! Hard to believe 5 years has gone by so fast. I did my best to get her in bed early last night which I did, but she was still up at 10:30 saying she was too excited to sleep. I set her alarm for 7:15 but just as I stepped in the shower at 6:55, my door opened and there she stood all dressed and ready to go! She was yawning at school so I don't think it will take long for her to figure out she needs to sleep at night. She only had to go for 1 hour today with mom and dad for an orientation. We basically put her supplies away and had our picture taken with her. Her teacher is Mrs. Ghrist and is the youngest of the 3 kindergarten teachers at her school, graduating from ISU in 2004. She is expecting her first child in September or October so Shelby will have a substitute for awhile. Her name is Mrs. Lowe and we met her today as well. She sounds like she will be an excellent sub so no worries there. It looks like they have 25 in the class. Mrs. Ghrist is lucky to have a teacher's assistant I think although she didn't seem the slightest bit overwhelmed with all the people in her room this morning! Shelby has 1 other girl at her table with 3 boys. The girl's name is Micah. I hope she isn't confused and tells her she has a boy's name since this is the name of her new boy cousin from Ethiopia. There is one church friend in her classroom named Kaitlyn. At lunch and recess she will catch up with Carson from next door, Christopher from church and the street behind us, Emily from church and Sophie from across the street and church. Sophie is in 1st grade but going to this school for the first time so she will be looking for familiar faces too I think! Tomorrow is the first full day so more to come I'm sure!





















No comments: