Monday, October 27, 2008

Blessed By God's Protection

The girls and I went back to my home in Wisconsin over the weekend for the final wedding of the year (#6). Over the past 5-10 years my parents have added a garage with rooms above it onto their house. The new staircase is hardwood and is unfinished. The side rails at the top of the stairs are not in place. We have spent many nights there and the staircase has not been a problem - until Friday night. We were upstairs getting ready for bed. So many things could have prevented the accident like just going to bed. I took the time to pick up a big stuffed animal at the end of the bed and Morgan decided to come stand next to me. I didn't even think about it but before I knew it, she took a step backwards and went over the edge of the staircase! She fell about 5 to 5 1/2 feet and landed flat on her back/head on one of the hardwood stairs. Then she tried to sit up and ended up rolling down the remaining stairs and stopped at the bottom face down. It was about 10:30 pm and my mom and I decided to take her to the hospital to have her checked out. While there she threw up all over me, herself and the floor. After the nurse and doctor checked her out she fell asleep while waiting for a technician to come do a CT scan of her head. She woke up before the test but did pretty well considering. She fell asleep again while waiting for the results to come back from a Madison hospital. Finally the results were in and she showed no internal head injuries. We headed home and got to bed about 1 am. She had no bump on her head and so far only 1 bruise on one of her hips has shown up. My aunt who is a massage therapist suggested I have her checked by a pediatric orthopedic doctor to prevent future problems (like migraine headaches). I am going to do that soon. Shelby was upset and I thought she was thinking Morgan's fall was her fault. I reassured her it wasn't and she said she was just sad because she was hurting. My dad said after my mom and I left with her for the hospital Shelby asked, "Is she dead"? Thankfully because of the good Lord, she's not dead and did not get seriously hurt. The whole thing could have turned out so differently.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't wait too long before getting Morgan checked out. I know all too well what those migraines are like after taking a tumble down a flight of stairs at mom and dads. I'm glad my little Magnus is ok. Hope to see you all soon.

Nichole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nichole said...

I am so glad Morgan is okay. Thank the Lord. I hope the visit with the orthopedic doc turns out alright. Sweet Shelby, I bet she was so worried about her sister!

kimberly said...

That is so scary. I'm so glad Morgan is okay (and you too)!

nonnymary said...

Wow! My mouth went dry and my knees weak when I read your description of Morgan's fall. I'll pray for complete "okayness" for her. Bless Shelber's heart. She does have a sensitive side, doesn't she? Reminds me of when Al fell off the grain bin ladder from 15 feet up. He was in the hosp overnight for observation. When I brot him home, Nate got tears in his eyes, went over, rubbed his arm and asked "Are you okay, brother?"