Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Homecoming 2009

Shelby's school participated in the Normal Community West Homecoming last week. On Thursday evening I was lucky to find an orange shirt at the kids used clothing store. Nothing like last minute. They had early dismissal for the parade on Friday afternoon. It was not exactly parade weather but I pulled out the earmuffs and gloves to go along with the winter coats. I have sat through worse weather for baseball games out there at Normal West so this was doable. Her school does a drawing for participants to walk in the parade. She really didn't have a chance because the forms came home while she was sick. She didn't bring hers home until they day after they were due back to school. I wasn't too disappointed since a parent has to walk along with them. She was disappointed at the parade because I wouldn't walk around to find people she knew to sit by. Her friend Jack from her class sat across the street and down aways. After the parade I talked to his mom and she said he was sad because he didn't get much candy. So when we got home Shelby put some of her candy in a baggie to take to Jack on Monday. I was sort of amazed by that.

I hadn't been to a homecoming parade in over 15 years but I guess I expected more for a big school. Coming from a small town that is all I am used to. The West band did not wear uniforms and I know my High School marching band wears the uniform for every parade. Even the 100 degree ones in the summer. And we made some impressive floats when I was in school. We did have a competition so maybe that was the incentive. Every class always wanted to beat the seniors. Maybe one of these years we will venture out to the homecoming football game but not this year. I feel sorry for anyone who sat out in that weather for Friday nights game!

No comments: