Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Big Girl!


A few weeks ago I decided to put Morgan's twin bed up for her. We are in the process of cleaning out the basement in order to get the floor fixed. Her bed was hanging from the ceiling and was going to have to be moved for the project so I decided now was a good a time as any to set it up. I already had purchased the bedding when it was on sale so all she needed was the bed. There is some history behind this old bed. My mom purchased the antique Jenny Lind style bed (my favorite style) at an auction back in 1985 on the day my great-grandpa Johnson died. I always liked the bed even though it was never used in our house. There was no room for it so it remained in storage. So when Nate and I bought our house, I worked with my mom stripping the bed. It was a lot of hard work because of all the grooves in the spindles. I remember using hay baler twine to work the zip strip into each groove. My mom surprised me the weekend they came to help us move in by bringing the finished stain & varnished bed. We set it up in one of the spare bedrooms. That room eventually became Shelby's so the bed went back to storage in our basement. At the time when Shelby was ready for a big girl bed I decided this bed looked too bulky for Shelby's room. We now had a lot more furniture & a glider rocker in the room as well as the fact her room is the smallest of the bedrooms. Morgan was a part of our family so I decided to save the bed for her. We often would look at it down it the basement and she was excited to someday have that bed. Although Morgan's furniture is white, I chose not to paint the bed. I remember all the hard work to get it cleaned up and hated the thought of painting it. Amazingly since having the bed, she has only visited my room a few times and that was in the early morning. And queen klutz hasn't even fallen out and I did not buy portable side rails. She loves it and tells anyone that will listen all about it!


Posted by Picasa

No comments: