Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Nate's Visit to the ER

A few weekends ago we were in my hometown in Wisconsin for a family picnic. Shortly after we arrived at my parents on Friday about 5:30, Nate asked me how it felt when I had a kidney stone. He already had the privilege of losing his appendix in college, so the kidney stone seemed the obvious killer. Around 7:00 I decided to be nice and take him to the ER. I told him he had to throw up at least once before I'd take him. I was giving him a hard time cause I probably threw up 3 times at home before we made our way to the hospital. (To his defense we did have to get the girls organized before he could take me). I couldn't believe it when they hooked him up to an IV with some morphine for the pain before he had a CT scan to confirm it was a kidney stone killing him. At the ER here in B/N, I had to wait my turn for a CT scan, while waiting I got sick for the 4th time, had to wait for the CT scan to be read and confirmed that it was a kidney stone before they would give me any kind of pain relief! The pain meds kicked in fast and he only got sick once right before they wheeled him off for the scan. After he returned to the room he was comfortable. I received a text from my sister saying the Med Flight was coming to town. Its flight path from Madison goes over my parents' house. Since Nate was settled, the nurses disappeared to take care of the patient next door that was going to be taking the ride in the helicopter. The small town curiosity in me could only find out that it was a 5 year old boy that had taken a fall. Finally at 10pm he was released and luckily with some meds since there is not a 24 hour pharmacy in the small town. Mid afternoon on Saturday he passed the tiny killer. That's the good news. Bad news is he has 3 stones sitting in his other kidney waiting for another day of pain.I was not born at my hometown hospital and I personally have not had a reason to use their services. Now Morgan and Nate have been to the ER. That leaves Shelby as the only one from our family to have not visited an ER. Let's hope it stays that way!

No comments: