Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Johnson Family Picnic

I have a lot of catching up to do on this ole blog. Waiting on pictures and mostly a major lack of motivation or desire to use my brain, has put me behind. Working my way to getting caught up I will start with the annual Johnson Family Picnic on the farm. I'll start out with a little history on how the annual picnic came to be. In December of 2007, my grandpa Johnson was sick over the Christmas holiday so the family gathering was cancelled. Sadly he passed away in January of 2008. When Christmas rolled around again, my grandma was not ready to host a big party. So in the summer of 2009 we tried this picnic idea and it was well received and attended. With such a big family and so many people going in so many directions during Christmas, the summer seems to be a better time for the majority of us to gather together. Since there are 12 kids in my mom's family, each year 3 of them are on the committee. Since she is #5, this year was her year. That put my brothers in charge of games. Jamie did a great job putting together some fun water games and relays. The cowboy boot pinata was perfect in honoring my grandpa who loved his horses and had a business of buying & selling. And what kid doesn't love to smack something with a stick and bust open the treasure? Here are some pics from the day. Aside from the flies that come with being on a farm, great fun was had by all.
Morgan in a water relay
Shelby scooping out marbles
Morgan scooping
Daddy playing Hillbilly Golf with Shelby
(I think Nate had already passed his kidney stone by now)
The Gang
Mosley Family
Me and my best cuz with my grandma
(Looking back at this picture reassures me the decision to stop growing out my hair was a good one. Never again will I attempt such a thing in the summer with the humidity)!
When my grandpa died in 2008, his obituary read that he had 12 children, 48 grandchildren & 32 great-grandchildren. Considering the youngest grandchild is in 2nd or 3rd grade, it is hard to imagine the total number of great-grandchildren the Dwaine and Bessie Johnson family will have. Another one was born this month and the first great-great grandchild is due to arrive in less than 9 months. Yikes! I think one day everyone is not going to fit in one picture!
Stay tuned for the rest of our summer adventures as I get caught up.

No comments: