Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Coming to Terms with Independence

Shelby has been testing my patience the last week or so.  Mostly with her attitude.  I tell her to do something, she says "NO"!  What is most annoying is it is an automatic response.  She says it without (in my opinion) even processing what I said.  I don't know how many times a day I hear, "You're mean"!    Last week was a long one of nothing but a difficult job of tearing down the wallpaper in the dining room.  Thursday night I did not go to bed and on Friday I did not get a nap.  My parents arrived Friday afternoon to paint.  Friday evening Shelby spent a lot of time in her room playing, or so I thought.  She was actually rearranging her room.  At first she put her bed up against the wall like it was when she first moved to a big girl bed.  The only problem with that is it takes up a lot of wall space and leaves a big area in the center of the room.  Then she moved the bed into a corner.  This was better use of the space for the bed but she hadn't come up with a way to get the rest of her stuff along the walls.  Her solution was just to get rid of it.  I had 3 problems with all of this.  1.  She didn't ask for permission.  2.  She didn't get help with moving a large piece of furniture.  3.  She too easily was willing to give her stuff away just to have her bed in a new position.  So by Friday evening, I was in no mood to deal with this.  I let her leave her bed in the corner for the night, but on Saturday she needed to get her vanity back from Morgan and return it to her room.  She wrote me this note before she went to bed:
I
In case you can't read it this is what she had to say.
Dear Mom, will you PLEASE consider my room being like this!  I promise I'll find a way to work out my things and were they are.  Please exsept!  And if you don't think you like it you can tell me. (But I'm not going to like it!)  If you want to talk to me about (find a good time).
Love, Shelby
Saturday morning, Nonny came to her rescue and helped her get things situated so it all fit.  She's happy and I'm fine with it.  Now if we can just get on the same page regarding other aspects of life. Same page, heck I'd settle for the same book!Posted by Picasa

No comments: