Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Backyard Biology

A robin created some excitement in our backyard when she built her nest in the tree that sits closest to our house.  We can see the nest from the kitchen, deck, dining room & looking down into it from Morgan's bedroom window.  If we have a visitor the girls drag them up to her room to take a peak.  They panicked when we had our fence installed because they thought the noise would scare away momma bird.  I was amazed to see the sturdy nest was still intact after some wind had the tree blowing around like crazy.  And later that same night the pounding 1 inch of rain we received didn't appear to bother it.  I've tried to get some pictures.  Some are better than others.
Momma warming her eggs
look real close
3 little blue eggs
2 of the 3 babes
I took a step stool out while the parents were away

taken from the kitchen window
mom or dad has returned
Those babies are always sitting there with their mouths hanging open.  I thought it looked like their eyes are still shut.  I haven't done research but it appears to me the momma sits on the nest and the papa returns after babies are hatched.  Momma robin clearly was round and plumb sitting on the side of the nest or on the eggs.  Since the babies have arrived, another robin helps tend the nest and it is more slim.
At first I wasn't too excited to see the nest and momma taking up residence in that tree.  I thought she would not take too kindly to me getting close to get to the water hose, planting in the flower bed or using the grill on the deck.   I had images of her swooping down and peaking me on the head!  I also worried she would abandon the nest after I had gotten that close.  So far we've had no problems.  Welcome to the neighborhood baby birds!

Moving to the front yard....
The other night I was out front checking on Morgan.  I had been standing there quite a while before my eye caught this little ball of fur.
So cute.  Morgan wanted to catch him for a pet.  I'd prefer we enjoy nature from the outside of the house.

No comments: