Friday, August 1, 2008

More Comments from the Peanut Gallery

I forgot to add in a previous post one of Shelby's comments. The same day she asked the gal in The Limited if she was a boy or girl, she responded to a sales lady in another store who asked how they were doing with "Not good. My mom doesn't love me". Thankfully she was too busy to hear that answer. That has been one of her latest things. If you are giving Morgan too much attention she will walk off with her head down and a sad look and say "You love her more than me". Or if you punish her or won't let her do something she will say, "You don't love me".

Also, what I didn't mention about the gal in The Limited is she is African American. What I feared she was going to ask that day was "Why are you that color?" I am afraid the day will come when that dreaded question comes out! Thankfully she doesn't recognize that difference yet and hopefully she never will. I thought perhaps these words from a favorite book called God Loves You has helped: You can be dark or you can be light. You can be shades of the day or the night. Whatever your color, it suits you just right. God loves you just as you are. Something else that will help my kids learn to overlook the differences of others is the cousins they will soon have from Ethiopia who are being adopted by my brother and his wife. Soon our family pictures will show shades of the day and the night and they will already know God loves us just as we are!

2 comments:

kimberly said...

Lovely entry, Sarah. And as always, I love hearing stories about your girls.

Sarah said...

Thanks Kimberly. Hope it gives you an idea of what is to come in your future!